Useful proverbs all English speakers “should know”
1. the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
2. don ‘t judge a book by its cover.
3. strike while the iron is hot.
4. too many cooks spoil the broth.
5. you can’t have your cake and eat it too.
6. many hands make light work.
7. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
8. two wrongs don’t make a right.
9. the pen is mightier than the sword.
10. the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
11. no man is an island.
12. fortune favors the bold.
13. hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
14. people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
15. better late than never.
16. birds of a feather flock together.
17. a picture is worth a thousand words.
18. there’s no such thing as a free lunch.
19. there’s no place like home.
20. discretion is the greater part of valour.
21. the early bird catches the worm.
22. never look a gift horse in the mouth.
23. you can’t make an omelette without breaking few eggs.
24. god helps those who help themselves.
25. you can’t always get what you want.
Proverbs in English for students
26. cleanliness is next to godliness.
27. a watched pot never boils.
28. beggars can’t be choosers.
29. if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
30. practice makes perfect.
31. easy come, easy go.
32. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.
33. “all good things must come to an end.
34. “if you can’t beat’em, join’ em.
35. one man’s trash is another man ‘s treasure.
36.’’ There’s no time like the present.
37. beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
38. necessity is the mother of invention.
39. a penny saved is a penny earned.
40. familiarity breeds contempt.
41. good things come to those who wait.
English proverbs list
42. don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
43. two heads are better than one.
44. the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill.
45. ‘’do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
46. a chain is only as strong as is the weakest link.
47. ‘’honesty is the best policy.
48. absence makes the heart grow fonder.
49. you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.
50. don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
51. ‘lf you want something done right, you have to do it yourself’’.