Power Persuasion Posture
One of the skills worth knowing and exercising is the art of persuasion. There are several tactics, formats or ideas that can be successfully applied to master the art of persuasion and here are just a few of them:
Believe In Yourself by Shereen Gul
• Starting out with an understanding approach or attitude is perhaps one of the better ways of putting the other party at ease immediately. Being seen as relating to their predicament helps to build the platform of comfortable acceptance and openness. Reflecting some of the characteristics of the other party also helps to build trust as then the sense of really understanding is perceived.
• Providing an atmosphere that is both friendly and inviting is also another good way to increase the percentage of successful persuasion. Little things like making sincere compliments can sometimes be the extra ingredient that makes the persuasion technique more believable. People who feel worthy often are more willing to go the extra mile to please.
• Being able to provide compelling and substantiated evidence certainly elevates the chances of successfully persuading someone to do anything. Making sure of course that the evidence or claims is verifiable thus also ensuring a good and bankable reputation in the process.
• Providing practical guidelines and plausible solutions also helps the persuasive argument to gain support. When designing proposals that need persuasive arguments, ensure that all material linked to the argument are well prepared and error proof. Being well prepare is always an admirable quality and definitely a good persuasion tool. Confidence is also another quality that goes well when using the persuasion technique. A confident person is taken seriously and respected for his or her opinions.
Know How To Pick Your Battles
Often people instinctively feel the need to fight and win every battle, big or small daily. This is not only exhausting but can be so stressful that they inadvertently forget to enjoy life in general.
Every now and then, everyone should learn to make a conscious effort take a step back and examine the need to address every battle and understand that it is not always wise or necessary to get involved, and that walking away may just be a better solution. Learning to wisely discern which battle to fight is explored in the following points:
• Patience – often a virtue most people are unable to master. Though it has been popularly noted that older or more experienced individual are better able to exercise this virtue when it comes to the question of choosing the battles to fight. When patience is exercised, things may be worked out without actually having to participate in any “battle”.
• Learning to be more accepting and letting go of rigid mindsets allows an individual the freedom of not having to be judgmental and easily provoked. Because of this more accommodative mindset, some battles are easier to overlook and thus reducing the constant need to control everything.
• Avoid getting involved in matters that either doesn’t concern the individual or where the individual’s knowledge is limited. Getting involved when ill equipped only brings about confusion and problems that eventually make an originally small matter become something that is blown out of proportion.
• Weight all possible repercussions and consequences before taking on any battle. Without doing this simple yet extremely important and beneficial exercise, the individual may find that the battle is all consuming and damaging both mentally and physically and may be even financially unsound.
• Questioning the intention and merits of getting involved in the battle is also advised before actually embarking on what may well be a useless waste of time and effort.
Know What You Want The Outcome To Be
It is always easier to embark on something when there is a tangible goal in mind. Working towards this can not only be done in a systematic manner but can also have a higher level of success rate attached to it. This element of probable success is an element most sought after when venturing into any foray.
Figure It Out
Having a fair idea of what is needed, what is desired and the eventual outcome is instrumental is several different areas that are normally addressed at the onset stages of an endeavor.
Issues such as manpower, expertise, equipment, time frames, budgets, and many other related matters have to discuss and accessed once the desired outcome is clearly outlined. Tailoring all these elements to ensure the originally desired outcome is reached as adequately as possible is one of the most important items that most planning process takes into account.
Other aspects that are often considered when exploring the possible outcome scenarios is the ability to create allowances that can be applied should the need arise so as not to derail the expected outcome too much.
If an individual or group is unable to clearly identify the desired outcome for any plan, then working out the step by step process to achieve the said plan cannot be done properly, therefore the importance of knowing or having a specific outcome expectation in place is vital.
Also because the desired outcome is clearly outlined a check and balance format can also be drawn up and studied from time to time through the course of the endeavor. Adjustments and improvements can be easily made if the desired outcome is easily understood by all involved. With a clear picture in mind as to the outcome expected, it is also easier to work wise and effectively towards achieving the goal as opposed to simply working “blindly” without direction or knowledge of what the expected outcome is.
The motivation element present in the knowledge of a clearly outlined goal is also something not to be underestimated
Empathize And Identify With Who you Are Speaking To
Being able to empathize and identify with people one is interacting with, usually provides the much-needed edge to take the interaction to the next stage. Even being perceived as doing so has its advantages. Most relationships and interactions, especially in the business world, come with some level of reservations and guardedness. Therefore it is important to be able to show the characteristic often and well.
Figure Out The Person
There are several advantages to being able to empathize or identify with others and some of them are depicted below:
• By showing a little empathy towards others, the individual is able to gain the confidence and warmth that may be needed to enlist the help of others easily and effectively. When people are able to comfortably identify with others they are more likely to go along with suggestions and be more helpful in any given situation. Work becomes more productive and better in quality too.
• Using empathy usually requires some level of love and warmth and this trait is highly respected and always sought after. People are more willing to be associated with individuals who have this quality. Team leaders are especially successful when they are able to portray some levels of showing empathy as this gives the impression of being able to identify on some level with what the other person may be going through.
• The working environment also becomes less threatening and hostile and instead more conducive when some levels of empathy are clearly present. Individuals are more likely to voice their concerns and at the other end of the spectrum are also able to relate better to the concerns being brought up, rather than simply disregarding everything that is deemed inconsequential or unrelated.
• Personal gains are put on hold for the betterment of others when an individual is able to experience empathy from being able to relate better to the unfortunate situation at hand.
Most successful people may not be very knowledgeable but when they speak they come across as so because of the confidence levels evident in the way they present themselves and in their speech. Speaking confidently definitely creates the platform for respect and attention which is very important when one is trying to make a point. Confidence is something that should be mastered is one expects to be taken seriously in any situation.
Being able to speak confidently does not necessarily mean being very knowledgeable in a particular subject though it does not hurt to be so. More importantly one needs to be able to show the said confidence in a convincing manner that gives an aura of authority that should be questioned.
When the art of speaking confidently is suitably achieved, the individual will be able to command the attention of almost anyone at any time with little or no effort at all.
People who are able to speak confidently are often admired and the information being presented is also often simply accepted without question. This is mostly due to the body posture and strength behind the vocal delivery which exudes confidence.
In order to be able to speak confidently, an individual must have as much relevant information as possible. In some cases, the need to “practice” before making the presentation is called for but as the confidence level builds up, this need decreases accordingly.
When the information being presented is both well researched and understood by the speaker, the delivery will naturally be done with some level of confidence. This is probably due to the fact that the speaker is more that capable of addressing any questions and concerns regarding the said information presented.
Being involved in as many situations as possible with the intention of practicing the portrayal of confidence also helps to further refine this skill. Participating in vocal exchanges regularly will also help to eventually contribute to the confidence levels of an individual.
The Importance Of Learning From Your Encounter
An essential part of self-improvement is learning from the various encounters one is exposed to on a daily basis. Several positive attributes can be derived from these encounters which can be successfully applied in future similar situations.
This is mainly because some idea of possible outcomes are already learned, seen or experienced. Essentially the experience only becomes beneficial if something has been learned from the encounter.
Below are just some of the elements that can be learned and then applied in any future circumstances to ensure better outcomes.
• When one is able to learn to apologies and yet retain some semblance of dignity, previous encounters that could have benefitted from this reaction will now be looked upon as a good learning curve.
• Learning to adjust one’s expectations based on previous encounters will allow the individual to better relate to other people with certain shortcomings. It will also enable the individual to control the urge to be a perfectionist and expect the same from those around.
• Understanding the whys and hows from past encounters also keeps the individual from making the same mistakes. However, if the mistake is repeated then the individual is better equipped to deal with the situation and its consequences.
• Learning from past encounters is also a great way of turning an unpleasant experience into a workable and perhaps even beneficial opportunity. The wisdom gained from the encounter will give the individual the edge needed to take better-calculated risks if the need arises.
Learning to move on instead of being stuck trying to justify every action and reaction is also an improvement that can be made from past encounters. Time and effort can often be wasted on the need to justify everything, especially if the others involved are either not interested or have moved on.